Goal of Certification: The basic purpose of the Consortium’s certification program is to assure the general public and employing agency of the competence of therapeutic recreation and activity personnel by certifying that they meet basic and prescribed standards. This certification attests that an individual is qualified by training and experience to conduct and administer therapeutic recreation and/or activity services at. a Activity Director, Therapeutic Recreation Associate or Therapeutic Recreation Specialist level. Requirements for Recertification for all Levels: Must complete 2.0 continuing education units (CEU’s) (20 contact hours) which MUST contain information utilized in the Therapeutic Recreation/Activities Process and relate to the CTRAC Body of Knowledge www.ctractexas.org. Successful completion of the following:
- TRA and AD have completed 100 hours of paid or volunteer experience in an Activities setting in the last 2 years (does not apply to TRS) OR
- Be retired from the profession. (65 years of age or older)
- All applicants for re-certification must submit documentation verifying the completion of 2.0 continuing education units (CEU’s) or 20 contact hours from a CTRAC endorsed educational source. All continuing education MUST correspond to one of the areas of the CTRAC Body of Knowledge: Advancement of the Therapeutic Recreation/Activities Professions, Human Development, Documentation, Special populations, Programming, Management and Leadership, and Treatment Modalities (www.ctractexas.org) and must have been completed during the last two year period.
- The Credential Review Panel will review and either accept or deny credit for the 2.0 continuing education units (CEU’s) (20 contact hours) submitted based on the following guidelines. NOTE: CTRAC has an obligation to verify that CEU’s submitted for recertification are from a recognized CEU approval source. CEU’s submitted that cannot be verified as being approved by a recognized source cannot be accepted. CEU certificates must clearly list the approving organization’s name, provider CEU approval #, number of contact and/or CEU hours (example 20 contact hours=2.0 CEU’s), title, and presenter information. CEU’s must cover 4 areas of CTRAC’s Body of Knowledge. Check CTRAC website for other related criteria. Submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CEU’s must come from at least four areas of the Body of Knowledge;
- Facility mandatory education is limited to no more than .5 CEU’s (5 contact hours) [TRS may not use facility mandated training toward CEU hours]
- Online coursesare limited to no more than 1.0 CEU (10 contact hours)
- Foreign and sign language courses are limited to no more than 1.0 CEU (10 contact hours)
- Contribution to continuing education (are limited to no more than 1.0 CEU (10 contact hours and contributed within the 2 year period) Professional presentations will be acknowledged as .1 CEU i.e., a two hour workshop not to include introductions, breaks, or meals will be worth .2 CEU’s (2 contact hours). Published works are articles in professional journals and are awarded at a rate of 1.o CEU per publication.
- Computer courses are limited to no more than .5 CEU’s (five contact hours) [Computer training is not acceptable for TRS recertification]
- Computer courses are limited to no more than .5 CEU’s (five contact hours)
Fees: Re-certification Application Fee: $75.00 The Application fee must accompany the application. This fee is Non-refundable. Payment Options: Money Orders, Personal Checks, or Company Checks. Renewals must be postmarked by due date or a $25.00 late fee will be assessed in addition to the $75.00 Renewal fee. Click here to download an application
Please Note: Re-certification of your certification is required every two (2) years. 2.0 CEUs (1.0 CEU = ten clock hours) and a total of at least 100 hours of paid or volunteer experience in a therapeutic recreation/or activities setting are required to renew your certification. (NOTE: Does not apply to TRS)
The Credential Review Panel meets four times a year.
Recertification applications must be postmarked and mailed to the Consortium office no later than by the first day of March, May, September, or November. PLEASE NOTE: If your application is received after the due date, the application will NOT be reviewed until the next scheduled meeting of the Credential Review Panel. You will receive your new certificate of certification within one month of the committee’s review.
- Complete the application. Type or print information clearly.
- Include Transcripts to verify all college and/or university coursework/units and verification of CEU’s as appropriate.
- Mail completed application to:
- CTRAC Office P.O. Box 682846 Houston, Texas 77268